The adventure begins!


Around 7:00am on the 7th January 2018, the Tour d’Afrique officially started. That is when the rubber hit the road - literally.  

Preparation

My last day at Datacom
Laying the groundwork for this epic journey has two parts, internal and external.

Internally, in my heart I have a desire to cycle from the top to the bottom of Africa. 

"Why?" people ask.  

"Why not?" I say.  

Having worked the last 25 years for a NZ IT industry giant called Datacom, what better way to change my life, challenge myself and experience new things, than to go on an African adventure?
Another driver was that I’m now 55 and I have seen too many colleagues, friends and mates pass away before they have lived out their dreams. 

I want to push myself and follow my dream while I'm fit and able to do so.

Shaping up


Externally, getting physically fit has certainly been the priority.  I need to be able to ride, on average, 120km a day for 100 days.  It is around 12,000km from the top of Cairo to Cape town. The shortest riding day is 61km and longest is 208km. The short days do not cover much distance but have large hill climbs, while the big distance days are along straight flat roads of widely varying quality.  

Workout indeed
I gave myself 6 months to get ready and bike fit for this. On the 4 July I weighed in at 116kg and did my first serious training ride - 29.7km, from Khandallah in the suburbs of Wellington where I live, to  to top of Kenepuru Hill and back again in 1 hour 24 minutes, averaging 21.1km/h. This showed I had some serious work to do.  Over the next 6 months I trained on the bike and walked up Mt Kaukau, the highest peak in the Wellington region dominated by a massive radio tower, to lose weight and get fit.   
Over 2000km were racked up on the bike and many more kilometres walking around the hills of Wellington.

Gearing up


Externally, getting together the equipment necessary to complete the tour. The Tour d’Afrique provide a recommended packing list.  It covers everything necessary to support yourself on a 4 month cycle camping expedition. This involves taking your own bike, tent, sleeping bag, bike parts, medical supplies and personal items necessary to get yourself through for 4 months on the road.

Externally, getting all the health checks done.  Blood test, Ophthalmologists, Dentists, Dermatologist, Podiatry, Physio, Vaccinations and ears cleaned.  All came back OK so there was nothing stopping me from this adventure.

Externally, well this one ended up internal. My preparations for departure were disrupted one night when I experienced a searing pain in my ear. I thought I may have burst an eardrum or come down with some sort of nasty ear infection. A rush to the emergency clinic revealed I had something in my ear - the bug pictured below (left). It was removed before it did any serious damage that could have rendered me unable to fly - or bike!

My sneaky stowaway and me about to have it removed from my ear.

Externally, getting all my personal affairs in order. Yes sorting out a new Will, Enduring Power of Attorney for personal property and welfare, bank accounts and many other small things that I can’t do when I’m on the other side of the world in Africa and need Caroline to sort for me.

Travel logistics


Externally, flights, travel insurance and visa’s. The flights where easy book online through the Emirates website which made it so easy. The itinerary - into Africa at Cairo, arriving 2 Jan and exiting Cape Town 10 May. Travel Insurance - now that another issue. There aren’t too many companies interested in insuring travellers to Africa. But eventually I found Covermore organised by Flight Centre and Kim Payne, who I can't recommend enough. I require 10 visas for the 10 countries I will be travelling through in Africa. Many can be obtained at the border, Kenya's system is online, while Sudan and Ethiopia required a visa in advance.

Everything I'll need... I hope!

For the Ethiopian visa, I had to courier my courier passport and visa application to Canberra just before Christmas and a Masonic Lodge friend who was working in the capital collected it and brought it back to New Zealand for me. The Sudanese visa requires that you lose a day of your life waiting outside the Sudanese Embassy in Cairo for officials to process your visa.

With everything packed and checked - 40kgs of luggage and two 7kg carry-on bags, I was ready to face the 33 hours of air travel and layovers to get me from Wellington to Cairo (in case you are interested: Wellington-Melbourne-Dubai-Cario).

Farewells


Winging my way
It was really hard to say goodbye to Caroline, the love of my life, at the airport. To leave my best friend, girlfriend, lover, wife, for a 5 month adventure was very emotional to say the least. It reminded me of how much she means to me and what I have too often taken for granted. Never have we been separated for such a long period of time.  I'll suspect I'll be in a hell of a lot of trouble if I raise the prospect of doing something like this again.
  
I'm now on the road and loving the ride with my new cycling partners. It is hot and dry and I'm surrounded by amazing treasures of antiquity. It is shaping up to be the ride of a lifetime!

I'll be posting photos and trip reports here on the blog over the coming months. You can also track my progress on Strava and Facebook.







Safe arrival


Comments

Popular posts from this blog